Sunday, June 26, 2005

The one about the pink-track-jacket

Yesterday I went to grab some cheepy-undershirts that I could write on with clever slogans. While at the store I happened to notice this blue track-jacket that looked like something Adam Brody would wear, so as you can imagine I was instantly drawn to it. As it turned out it was 9-bucks, but as the shop-girl who was helping me commented “in the girls section”. She then informed me there were similar track-jackets in the men’s section but for ten-dollars more. So of course I was all “well no where on the jacket does it say ‘from the girl’s section’, soooooo why would I spend an extra ten-dollars to enforce your store’s gendered outlook on clothing?”

After I assured her that I was man enough to wear a “woman’s” track-jacket I bought it and the matching pants that came with it, which in all honesty I probably wouldn’t wear. After a few hours I decided I didn’t like the color that much, but there was an identical black one with a pink stripe. So today I went back to exchange my blue one for the black-and-pink confection I hearted so much. The same girl helped me and felt it necessary to SHOW me the men’s jackets which were too big for me anyway, and to point out that “the girl’s one” has a pink stripe. I couldn’t believe how hard she was working to get me to spend more money on gender-appropriate clothing, maybe it was a commission thing.

Finally I had to explain to her that I was butch enough to carry off a pink-stripe just fine, and that I in fact wanted a pink-striped track-jacket. And if it weren’t so fucking hot out I’d have worn my new kick-ass jacket home.

11 Comments:

Blogger Evil Petting Zoo said...

You linked to me...awesome. I need to update mine. Of course you will be included. I hate when people try to pigeon hole you into what society feels is appropriate. I go through that myself because I don't identify with any one particular group. I happen to identify with a bunch of them.

Rock the pink jacket...

7:15 PM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

Summer of 2001 the Gap was trying to sell capris for men, and an old friend who worked there actually tried to convince me that my large cornfed frame would look good in those monstrosities. She wanted me to spend fifty dollars on pants that would make me look like Bruce Banner at the Hulk end of his transformation.

Three weeks later the men's capris, a disasterous failure, were ten dollars. I still didn't buy them.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Ed Grow said...

Flesh-

You should be more assertive. Try next time, "I reject your bourgeoisie values. The wheels of the revolution will crush you." That one always worked on pushy salespeople for me. Love!

11:43 PM  
Blogger cranberry said...

that's fabulous.
you should post a photo of your new outfit so we can gawk over it.

i want a pink jacket.

1:11 AM  
Blogger suz said...

nicely done flesh. it seems she was offended by your views on gendered clothing. i'm surprised at how hard she tried to get your to conform.. my my.

9:18 AM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

i would also like to see an illustration of you in your new jacket.

9:26 AM  
Blogger AMS said...

Stoopid salespeople.

My worst time was when I gave the sales assistant my student card so I could get a discount and she said to me
"Wow you must have got slagged loads over your name in school"

ME:"Eh no actually I didnt"
My 2nd name is Sexton - what a bitch.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Rob Danger said...

Thanx, y'all!
Cran are you the 'berry of Rock_Snob fame and fortune?!
Sexton is a perfectly lovely name, how dare anyone imply otherwise.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Rob Danger said...

I own man-capris!! But they're baggie... They're kind of like what KFed sports, but since that is practically the only article of clothing that is reminscent of the 'Fed I feel like it's okay.

3:24 PM  
Blogger cranberry said...

i am not the berry of said Rock_Snob fame and fortune.
I am from Vancouver and co-host a community radio show called Booty Call http://www.cjsf.ca

8:45 PM  
Blogger Rob Danger said...

Wow! That is super cool! What kind of programing do you do? Music or is it mostly spoken-word?!
I don't know the techy terms for it...

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home